Difference between revisions of "Bicycology"

From Aktivix
Jump to: navigation, search
(July Meeting)
(Latest Action Points)
 
(259 intermediate revisions by 16 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Bicycology is a collective formed by riders who wanted to build on their shared experience of the 2005 [http://www.g8bikeride.org.uk/ G8 Bike Ride] and organise future events of a similar nature. By focusing on cycling we aim to persue our vision of a just and sustainable world through a combination of education, entertainment and creative direct action. The collective was formed during a weekend meeting at the [http://www.veggies.org.uk/sumac/ Sumac Centre] in November 2005 with 15 original members. There is a Bicycology website at [http://www.bicycology.org.uk/ www.bicycology.org.uk].
+
Bicycology is a collective formed by riders who wanted to build on their shared experience of the 2005 [http://www.zenatode.org.uk/g8bikeride/ G8 Bike Ride] and organise future events of a similar nature. By focusing on cycling we aim to persue our vision of a just and sustainable world through a combination of education, entertainment and creative direct action. The collective was formed during a weekend meeting at the [http://www.veggies.org.uk/sumac/ Sumac Centre] in November 2005 with 15 original members. There is also a [http://www.bicycology.org.uk/ Bicycology Website].
  
== July Meeting==
+
==Latest Action Points==
  
Would be better to get rid of all the below (im not sure if anyone wants it for anything so i haven´t) and replace it with minutes (if we have any). Alternatively, I propose just listing actions and the people who are undertaking them, by person maybe...I´ll start..
+
Older not-yet-completed Action Points and longer term aims/ideas can be found here: https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/ActionPoints
 
+
James - write definition of Bicycology and Intro to guide [done]
+
 
+
James - rewrite climate change piece for guide [halfdone]
+
 
+
James - make some climate change, bicycology and g8 bike ride display boards
+
 
+
James - research insurance [done, but sorted by Patrick]
+
 
+
James - reestablish connection with Leeds [done] and become liason [re-connect and cycling action groups contacted]
+
 
+
James - collect and collate music for the ride
+
 
+
James - practice riding a tallbike!
+
 
+
Imogen - Make teaser posters [done],Dr bike tags (done) Make more bike specs
+
 
+
Imogen - Build Beautiful Bicycle Kit [face paints and ribbon bought]
+
 
+
Imogen - collate, illustrate and produce Guide
+
 
+
Imogen-Make banners for Dr bike and Beautiful bicycle
+
 
+
Ian - obtain climate camp publicity materials for roadshow
+
 
+
Ian - obtain Faslane publicity materials and/or do a leaflet for Faslane Bike Blockade
+
 
+
---
+
 
+
Monday 10th
+
 
+
Morning
+
 
+
Afternoon
+
 
+
Evening
+
 
+
 
+
Tuesday 11th
+
 
+
Morning
+
 
+
Afternoon
+
 
+
Evening
+
1. Film-The Revolution will not be televised, 6:45, Greenwich (not 
+
movable, not essential) Dan
+
 
+
 
+
Wednesday 12th
+
 
+
Morning
+
 
+
Afternoon
+
 
+
1. Fix new film-tandem and dynamo Hub (movable, essential) Dan, Chris
+
 
+
2. Electrical testing of dynamo Hub (movable essential) Dan, Patrick (can't make it until Thursday!)?
+
 
+
3. Test filming from tandem (movable, essential) Dan, Mat
+
 
+
4.
+
 
+
Evening
+
 
+
 
+
Thursday 13th
+
 
+
Morning:
+
1.General gathering of thoughts, equipment...assessing where we're at, and drawing up a timetable for the rest of the week.
+
 
+
Afternoon:
+
2.Group meeting...hopefully we'll all be there(?)(essential). (People who won't be there: Charlotte)
+
 
+
Evening
+
1. Charlotte's birthday drinks (not movable, essential) everyone (we can do some music collecting here, if we bring things to party to we want on the ride also)
+
(though charlotte will be v late (midnightish), due to Faslane 365 meeting in Leic (will bring news) but will bring drinks so don't fall asleep, keep pedalling, she'll be there eventually...)
+
 
+
 
+
Friday 14th
+
 
+
Morning - Banner and Flag making? Trailer modification. General tat (moveable, non-essential)
+
 
+
Afternoon - Group meeting, part 2 (essential)
+
 
+
Evening - Bike Polo/Ballet practice for forest gate (movable, not absolutely essential) and/or Music and film: sorting play lists, formats? Discussing what visual material we need to find/edit/create from scratch eg. movies/slideshows on climate change, radical history of cycling etc. (movable, essential)
+
 
+
 
+
Sat 15th
+
 
+
Morning
+
1. Forest Gate festival (not movable, definite) Patrick, Dan, Aurora, Matt, Chris, Charlotte, Imogen
+
(Patrick to drive up with van from Hastings early in morning)
+
 
+
 
+
Afternoon
+
1. Forest Gate festival (not movable, definite) Patrick, Dan, Aurora, Matt, Chris, Charlotte, Imogen
+
 
+
Evening
+
 
+
 
+
Sun 16th
+
 
+
Morning
+
1. Discussion of what was good/not so good at Forest gate, what needs improving.
+
2. check over actions to be done prior to BGG/tour, timetable them.
+
 
+
Afternoon
+
 
+
Evening
+
  
 
== Latest News ==
 
== Latest News ==
  
'''Forest Gate Festival'''
+
== Calendar ==
 
+
Bicycology will be doing Dr Bike and Pedals Soundsystem at Forest Gate Festival in East London on Saturday 15th July, along with an array of childrens pedal generators from SEASoN (Patrick's outfit).
+
 
+
'''Latest Flyer Designs'''
+
 
+
Here are the latest flyer designs:
+
 
+
[https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Image:Bicycologyflyer1.jpg With Mission Statement - 4 per page]
+
[https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Image:Bicycologyflyer2.jpg With Tour Dates - 4 per page]
+
 
+
10/07/06 We have loads of flyers and A3 posters!
+
 
+
'''Next Meeting'''
+
 
+
The next Bicycology meeting will be at Rampart from July 13th to 16th. The following people have said they will be there (though not necessarily for all four days). Feel free to add your name if you are going: Matt, Charlotte, Aurora, Pete, Alice, Dan, Jack, Chris, Ian, Imogen, Patrick.  Apologies from James for double booking himself to Latitude Festival to work for Brighton anti-arms co. campaign at workers beer (will be there on the 13th)
+
 
+
The new [http://www.bicycology.org.uk/ website] is up and running.
+
 
+
'''Big Green Gathering'''
+
 
+
Tickets are on the way for Ian, Tabs, James and Imogen for the [http://www.big-green-gathering.com/ BGG] where we'll be housed with Art Not Oil in the Campaigns field.
+
 
+
== Bicycology Roadshow 2006 ==
+
 
+
Current (hopefully final) plan.
+
 
+
The tour will be starting at FinFest, on August 13th. From there:
+
 
+
Reach Amersham by 10pm to camp at Quaker Meeting House (Andrew).
+
Monday, 14th: Aylesbury, for the afternnon.
+
Tuesday, 15th: Cycling to Coventry.
+
Wednesday, 16th: A day in Coventry.
+
Thursday, 17th: Cycling to Leicester/Activities in Leicester.
+
Friday 18th: More Activities in Leicester, then cycling to Nottingham.
+
Saturday 19th: A day in Nottingham.
+
Sunday 20th: Cycling to Sheffield.
+
Monday 21st: A day in Sheffield.
+
Tuesday 22md: Cycling to Leeds.
+
Wednesday 23rd: A day in Leeds.
+
Thursday 24th: Cycling to Lancaster.
+
Friday 25th: A day in Lancaster.
+
Saturday & Sunday: Cycling to the Climate Action Camp.
+
 
+
We will be cycling one day and stopping in each of the above places (except Northampton) the following day,  to do workshops, films, BMX competitions, bike polo, parties, etc.
+
There is still much work to be done, and although there is still a feeling that we don't want to open this up as much as the G8 Bike Ride, we do need more people to get involved, especially if they have skills/interests in any of the above activities.
+
 
+
==People Wanted==
+
 
+
We're still looking for a few dedicated individuals with particular skills to come along on our roadshow. At the moment, we're looking for people with interests/skills in: street theatre/performance art; bike modification; documentation. Please get in touch if you're interested or want to know more.
+
 
+
We're also looking for people in Aylesbury, Nottingham and Leeds who would like to help organise our stay there.
+
 
+
==List of Kit - NEEDS UPDATING==
+
 
+
[https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Talk:Main_Page kit list]
+
 
+
==Tagline Debate==
+
 
+
Theres a list of possibilities below, which people can add to and maybe register their final, single, votes, and ive set up a page on the Talk section where we can add comments and get into full scale argument! [https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Talk:Bicycology]
+
 
+
Bicycology Now...or Apolcalypse Soon
+
 
+
Bicycology ...or the old lady gets it
+
 
+
... wheels and tools, not fossil fuels/we're no fossil fools
+
 
+
... power to the pedals
+
 
+
...we're wheeley weverlutionary (or even wevewutionawy)
+
 
+
... bike and planet maintenance.
+
 
+
...it's wheelie good!
+
 
+
...you need cycleanalysis!
+
 
+
...environMentalists (and/not Cyclepaths!)
+
 
+
...several less cars
+
 
+
...so your children can breathe
+
 
+
...cycling now...for the future
+
 
+
...the philosophy of pedals and planet
+
 
+
...the philosophy of bikes... and the future of the planet...
+
 
+
...love and sprockets
+
 
+
...humanity powered transport
+
 
+
==Who's Riding Who?==
+
 
+
There are a number of bikes that will need to be adopted...so some people will have to sacrifice bringing their own beloved stead...
+
 
+
Hopefully we can cahnge around a lot, so we all get to experience diffreent bikes and no one gets stuck on something they're not happy with...but for practical purposes I think we all need to adopt a vehicle so we know where we are.
+
  
The 'unusual' bikes are the ones that will need to be sorted first...I've added some names but these are just guidelines...people can add/remove at will...remember, this doesn't mean you'll be riding this all the way, but it does mean you'll be at least ataking some responsibility and probably leaving your own bike at home...we could also work in units, so two people adopt the tall bike and a shared normal bike, for example...
+
''' January '''
Anyway...
+
  
Tandem One: Ian/?
+
''' February '''
  
Tandem Two: May now not exist...but if it does...Matt/Aurora
+
''' March '''
  
Tandem Three (Semi-Recumbent): Chris/Matt - at least part of the time.(If other tandem doesn't exist)
+
25th-27th Bicycology Meeting number 30 in London
  
Tall Bike: Chris is happy to ride this for one or two days if someone else takes his place of the tandem.  James also happy to ride occasionally, along with anything else that needs a body, tandem or recumbent. Or my own bike if necessary to pull a separate trailer (ie, "Like, Whatever..." ) Likewise, Matt will give it a go. Tabs would love to do a big chunk of the tall bike riding...but we need more offers of riders please...Jack will have a go, but will be very upset if he dies while riding it (just check out the fall count for the tallbikeround britain riders :-d).
+
''' April '''
  
Other Bikes...
+
''' June '''
  
Jack also says: I'm up for riding on one (or both, though not at the same time...) of the tandems with space on them; mainly because I've never ridden on one before. Jack adds : as I can't do the whole tour unless I take my own bike and there is already someone on a tandem I ride, I would have to ride the tandem until someone else joined who could take over from me. (Ben, or charlotte for instance?)
+
''' July '''
  
Normal bike: unless we are desperate for tandem/tallbike riders, i'd like to stick with my normal bike please, towing my lovely load carrying trailer which can be filled with art stuff-Imogen.
+
''' August '''
  
Normal (touring) bike plus energy trailer: Patrick
+
''' September '''
  
Normal bike + trailer (beautiful bicycle one or campaigns/info one) : Charlotte - but i will ride a tandem (and not take my bike) if necessary.
+
''' October '''
  
==Energy and Film==
+
''' November '''
  
One of our aims is to make links between cycling and wider environmental issues such as climate change. We're serious about taking responsibility for our own energy needs, and about demonstrating the feasibility of appropriate technology that meets people's needs without compromising the environment. We are developing a Bicycology Energy Trailer which will incorporate different forms of renewable small scale energy production, including a wind turbine, solar panels, and a novel rear axle stand pedal generator that turns a normal bike into a electrical power source. Energy will be stored on the bike trailer in batteries and used to power music and micro-cinema. This way, we'll be able to stop anywhere and show people renewable energy in action. We'll also carry a projector for film shows at venues.
+
''' December '''
  
Below is an early prototype showing energy trailer ideas starting to take shape!
+
== Additional Pages ==
  
[[Image:Energy_trailer.jpg]]
+
Anyone know if we can push this into a box like the contents one?
  
Feel free to add other energy related ideas here: bubble machine, gameboy, separate children's pedal generator(?), light bulbs (to show difference between low energy and conventional bulbs), funky LED lights for the evening
+
* [[Bicycology/ActionPoints]] Everything that we said we'd do that hasn't been done yet
  
Hope to add a link here to a list of films, slideshows or other visual material that we can take with us to show.
+
* [[Bicycology/Archive]] A list of things out of date stuff removed from the WIKI.  If you spot something out of date, move it to here, and once it's been archived it can be removed totally.
  
==Bicycology Guide to Bicycology (BGTB)==
+
* [[Bicycology/BGTB]] The Bicycology Guide to Bicycology - Drafts for new pages, plus archive of old text (ready for updating)
  
Please add thoughts, texts, etc for inclusion in the guide...
+
* [[Bicycology/Blog]] Getting started with the Bicycology blog
We now have a dedicated page for BGTB, [https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/BGTB click here].
+
  
==Music==
+
* [[Bicycology/Text]] All text and artwork for discussion/editing (other than Guide pages) here
  
Discussion/Record of songs we want/have/formats etc [https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/Music Here]
+
* [[Bicycology/Films]] Record of the films we have
  
==Films==
+
* [[Bicycology/Insurance]] If someone need insurance details they are here
  
Now has its own lil' home, check it [https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/Films out]
+
* [[Bicycology/MaxPunnage]] Space for sharing/discussing possible names for the 'tourtoise' / any other slogan type debates (ie, the old one)
  
==Bicycological Quizasaurous==
+
* [[Bicycology/Media]] Press releases etc
  
Format: Bicycological Study of Personal Relationships with Bike, Climate Chaos Quizasuarous, Dr Bike's surgical examination.
+
* [[Bicycology/Meetings]] A Page with a proposed general meeting structure, also dates of meeting and links to previous minutes?
  
 +
* [[Bicycology/Money]] Budget info, tracking income and expenditure, bank details etc.
  
 +
* [[Bicycology/Music]] Add requests for tunes you want to hear on the ride
  
Questions:
+
* [[Bicycology/Stockroom]] What have we got and where
  
10. What do we need to change in order to avert catastrophic climate chaos?
+
* [[Bicycology/Website]] all things website
a) our lifestyles b) our culture c) the social structure of capitalism d) the social structure of patriarchy e) the social structure of hierarchy f) all of the above
+
  
 +
* [[Talk:Bicycology#Wiki Development]] Discussion about how to develop wiki
 +
* [[Talk:Bicycology#CTC Debate]] Offer of CTC partnership/ sponsorship - see
  
 +
* [[Bicycology Research]] Bicycological things we've been researching and wish to share with the group
  
Prizes: Badges, Posters, Reflective bits and bobs, Patches, BGTBs, Puncture Repair Kits, Cider
+
<pre>
 +
Quick guide to adding additional pages where necessary. Edit this section and add your new page title to the list,
 +
following the format of the existing ones. For example, to add a page about cider you would add something like:
  
==Miscellaneous==
 
  
now a separate page for big bits that don't need to take up space, but could use discussion
+
* [[Bicycology/Cider]] This is a page about the joys of fermented crushed apples
[https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/Misc Here]
+
  
so far: the article (sent to some already, but could still be improved on, here for reference too) + the website links discussion
 
  
Pulling Power inspiration
+
Once you save your edit then you can just click on the new link and it will take you to a blank page that you can start editing.
 +
Don't go mad creating new pages tho...:
 +
</pre>
  
[[Image:Bikeload.JPG ]]
+
==2008 - Routes to Solutions==
  
[[Image:Hillwashingmachine.jpg ]]
+
[[Bicycology/RTSStuff]] Links to all the pages for organising Routes to Solutions
  
==Media==
+
==2006 - Tour==
I've added a page so we can discuss publicity and media as I'm worried about this at the moment... (and to try out making a new page)
+
https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/Media
+
  
==Quick Guide to Making Extra Pages for this Wiki==
+
* [[Bicycology/2006Tour]]
  
If you want to add a separate page, rather than adding another section to this one, simply add a / to the url address followed by the page name. Hit return and you'll be taken to a blank version of that page ready for editing. For example, when the films page was added earlier the process was:
+
== Wiki Users ==
  
To this address
+
Here are links to the ActiviX User Pages of all the Bicycologists who have contributed to the Bicycology Wiki as of July 26th 2006. People might want to start keeping some stuff specific to them on their own pages. Note, these are general AktiviX user pages so you don' need to restrict yourself to stuff about Bicycology!
https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology
+
Add a / and the name
+
https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/Films
+
Hit return, then click on 'edit' to add text.
+
Hyperlinks from the main page to the new page can be done simply by adding
+
https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/Films
+
to the page
+
  
Hope that's made sense, I'm going to put content from this page onto pages of their own when I have time. Someone shout if they think this isn't helpful - am finding the main page rather crowded so thought it a good idea...
+
* [[User:Aurora]]
 +
* [[User:Inmyfootsteps]]
 +
* [[User:Matt]]
 +
* [[User:Ianji]]
 +
* [[User:JackD]]
 +
* [[User:Patrick]]
 +
* [[User:Topher]]
 +
* [[User:Imogen s]]
 +
* [[User:Bicycolottie]]
 +
* [[User:Tabs]]
 +
* [[User:Sciclist]]
 +
* [[User:AlinedGiff]]

Latest revision as of 21:56, 25 May 2011

Bicycology is a collective formed by riders who wanted to build on their shared experience of the 2005 G8 Bike Ride and organise future events of a similar nature. By focusing on cycling we aim to persue our vision of a just and sustainable world through a combination of education, entertainment and creative direct action. The collective was formed during a weekend meeting at the Sumac Centre in November 2005 with 15 original members. There is also a Bicycology Website.

Latest Action Points

Older not-yet-completed Action Points and longer term aims/ideas can be found here: https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/ActionPoints

Latest News

Calendar

January

February

March

25th-27th Bicycology Meeting number 30 in London

April

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

Additional Pages

Anyone know if we can push this into a box like the contents one?

  • Bicycology/Archive A list of things out of date stuff removed from the WIKI. If you spot something out of date, move it to here, and once it's been archived it can be removed totally.
  • Bicycology/BGTB The Bicycology Guide to Bicycology - Drafts for new pages, plus archive of old text (ready for updating)
  • Bicycology/Text All text and artwork for discussion/editing (other than Guide pages) here
  • Bicycology/MaxPunnage Space for sharing/discussing possible names for the 'tourtoise' / any other slogan type debates (ie, the old one)
  • Bicycology/Meetings A Page with a proposed general meeting structure, also dates of meeting and links to previous minutes?
  • Bicycology/Money Budget info, tracking income and expenditure, bank details etc.
  • Bicycology Research Bicycological things we've been researching and wish to share with the group
Quick guide to adding additional pages where necessary. Edit this section and add your new page title to the list,
following the format of the existing ones. For example, to add a page about cider you would add something like:


* [[Bicycology/Cider]] This is a page about the joys of fermented crushed apples


Once you save your edit then you can just click on the new link and it will take you to a blank page that you can start editing.
Don't go mad creating new pages tho...:

2008 - Routes to Solutions

Bicycology/RTSStuff Links to all the pages for organising Routes to Solutions

2006 - Tour

Wiki Users

Here are links to the ActiviX User Pages of all the Bicycologists who have contributed to the Bicycology Wiki as of July 26th 2006. People might want to start keeping some stuff specific to them on their own pages. Note, these are general AktiviX user pages so you don' need to restrict yourself to stuff about Bicycology!