Difference between revisions of "Bicycology"

From Aktivix
Jump to: navigation, search
(Latest News)
(Latest Action Points)
 
(219 intermediate revisions by 16 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Bicycology is a collective formed by riders who wanted to build on their shared experience of the 2005 [http://www.g8bikeride.org.uk/ G8 Bike Ride] and organise future events of a similar nature. By focusing on cycling we aim to persue our vision of a just and sustainable world through a combination of education, entertainment and creative direct action. The collective was formed during a weekend meeting at the [http://www.veggies.org.uk/sumac/ Sumac Centre] in November 2005 with 15 original members. There is also a [http://www.bicycology.org.uk/ Bicycology Website].
+
Bicycology is a collective formed by riders who wanted to build on their shared experience of the 2005 [http://www.zenatode.org.uk/g8bikeride/ G8 Bike Ride] and organise future events of a similar nature. By focusing on cycling we aim to persue our vision of a just and sustainable world through a combination of education, entertainment and creative direct action. The collective was formed during a weekend meeting at the [http://www.veggies.org.uk/sumac/ Sumac Centre] in November 2005 with 15 original members. There is also a [http://www.bicycology.org.uk/ Bicycology Website].
  
== Latest News ==
+
==Latest Action Points==
  
* Tagline debate is now on Talk page - [[Talk:Bicycology#Tagline Debate]]
+
Older not-yet-completed Action Points and longer term aims/ideas can be found here: https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/ActionPoints
* Ian has done some major wiki work and started a discussion about how to continue - [[Talk:Bicycology#Wiki Development]]
+
* Ian, Chris, Tabs, James, Imogen and Jack are going to the [http://www.big-green-gathering.com/ BGG]
+
* Bicycology benefit gig at RampART (July Critical Mass after party)
+
* Dan has taken over from Pete as webmaster for the [http://www.bicycology.org.uk/ Bicycology Website]
+
* We have loads of flyers and A3 posters
+
  
== Wiki Users ==
+
== Latest News ==
  
Here are links to the ActiviX User Pages of all the Bicycologists who have contributed to the Bicycology Wiki as of July 26th 2006. People might want to start keeping some stuff specific to them on their own pages. Note, these are general AktiviX user pages so you don' need to restrict yourself to stuff about Bicycology!
+
== Calendar ==
  
* [[User:Inmyfootsteps]]
+
''' January '''
* [[User:Matt]]
+
* [[User:Ianji]]
+
* [[User:JackD]]
+
* [[User:Patrick]]
+
* [[User:Topher]]
+
* [[User:Imogen s]]
+
* [[User:Bicycolottie]]
+
* [[User:Tabs]]
+
* [[User:Sciclist]]
+
  
== Additional Pages ==
+
''' February '''
  
New improved quick guide to adding additional pages where necessary. Edit this section and add your new page title to the list, following the format of the existing ones. For example, to add a page about cider you would add something like:
+
''' March '''
  
<pre>
+
25th-27th Bicycology Meeting number 30 in London
* [[Bicycology/Cider]] This is a page about the joys of fermented crushed apples
+
</pre>
+
  
Once you save your edit then you can just click on the new link and it will take you to a blank page that you can start editing. Don't go mad creating new pages, sections on this page are often all that is needed. Here are the pages that people have already created:
+
''' April '''
  
* [[Bicycology/KitList]] List of kit, needs updating
+
''' June '''
* [[Bicycology/BGTB]] The Bicycology Guide to Bicycology
+
* [[Bicycology/Music]] Add requests for tunes you want to hear on the ride
+
* [[Bicycology/Films]] Ciderman III is apparently way cool!
+
* [[Bicycology/Media]] Press releases etc
+
* [[Bicycology/Insurance]] If someone need insurance details they are here
+
* [[Bicycology/Misc]] Bits and pieces including article and discussion about links for Bicycology website
+
  
== Actions agreed at July Meeting==
+
''' July '''
  
this should maybe be replaced with minutes (if we have any). Alternatively, I propose just listing actions and the people who are undertaking them, by person maybe... add your own, and if you can remember things people have forgotten they said they'd do, add them too... and update progress if possible...
+
''' August '''
  
* Everybody: Wiki, Wiki, Waa
+
''' September '''
* Everybody: Email, Email, Email (remember to put accurate titles on emails)
+
* Everybody: don't stress ;-)
+
* James - write definition of Bicycology and Intro to guide [done]
+
* James - rewrite climate change piece for guide [done]
+
* James - make some climate change, bicycology and g8 bike ride display boards
+
* James - research insurance [done, but sorted by Patrick]
+
* James - reestablish connection with Leeds [done] and become liason [re-connect and cycling action groups contacted]
+
* James - collect and collate music for the ride [in progress]
+
* James - practice riding a tallbike!
+
* Imogen - Make teaser posters [done],Dr bike tags (done) Make more bike specs
+
* Imogen - Build Beautiful Bicycle Kit [face paints and ribbon bought]
+
* Imogen - collate, illustrate and produce Guide
+
* Imogen-Make banners for Dr bike and Beautiful bicycle
+
* Ian - obtain climate camp publicity materials for roadshow
+
* Ian - obtain Faslane publicity materials and/or do a leaflet for Faslane Bike Blockade
+
* Charlotte - research stickers with better eco-cred (struggling)
+
* Charlotte - sort out getting tall bike to London (possibilty this weekend - am awaiting a phone call)
+
* Charlotte - clarify cycle training insurance (turns out i mis-read, i don't get it automatically)
+
* Charlotte - make three 'tool rolls' for Dr Bike to look cool & be organised
+
* Charlotte - think more about costumes
+
* Charlotte - get posters & postcards to Nottingham (Imogen to send them to me)
+
* Charlotte - laminate some posters for ride
+
* Charlotte - do Dr Bike page for guide
+
* Charlotte - edit manifesto for guide  & write 'debrief' for the end - or are James & Im doing this?
+
* Charlotte - organise Leicester event(s) & trawl through the Leicester City Council Utterly Pointless Paperwork Mountain
+
  
== Bicycology Roadshow 2006 ==
+
''' October '''
  
Can we update this so its more comphrehensive, ie, what are we booked to do and where, who're the people (our person and the local person), where are we staying, have we got food organised, what are the sleeping arrangements. just so we know...
+
''' November '''
  
Current (hopefully final) plan.
+
''' December '''
  
* The tour will be starting at FinFest, on August 13th. shiri co-ordinating fin fest is "Shiri Shalmy" <shiri@riseup.net>,  and her number is 07929252724 or 02088090039. dan is our person.
+
== Additional Pages ==
* Riding from there to reach Amersham by 10pm and camp at Quaker Meeting House (Andrew).
+
* Monday, 14th: Aylesbury, for the afternoon. Park?
+
* Tuesday, 15th: Cycling to Coventry. Stay at Cov. Peace House. Chris is person
+
* Wednesday, 16th: A day in Coventry. Park? Negotiations with Council.
+
* Thursday, 17th: Cycling to Leicester/Activities in Leicester. Negs with Council. Stay at ?Charlotte is person.
+
* Friday 18th: More Activities in Leicester, then cycling to Nottingham. Stay at Sumac Centre, food.
+
* Saturday 19th: A day in Nottingham. rest day. relaxed dr bike poss?
+
* Sunday 20th: Cycling to Sheffield. stay at future squat?
+
* Monday 21st: A day in Sheffield. Devonshire Green? Council Negs. Paddy is person.
+
* Tuesday 22md: Cycling to Leeds. Stay at The Common Place, Food and Floor.
+
* Wednesday 23rd: A day in Leeds. 1-3pm 'Little London' north of city centre. James/Paul Chatterton.
+
* Thursday 24th: Cycling to Lancaster. Stay at ?
+
* Friday 25th: A day in Lancaster.
+
* Saturday & Sunday: Cycling to the Climate Action Camp.
+
  
We will be cycling one day and stopping in each of the above places (except Aylesbury) the following day,  to do workshops, films, BMX competitions, bike polo, parties, etc.
+
Anyone know if we can push this into a box like the contents one?
  
There is still much work to be done, and although there is still a feeling that we don't want to open this up as much as the G8 Bike Ride, we do need more people to get involved, especially if they have skills/interests in any of the above activities.
+
* [[Bicycology/ActionPoints]] Everything that we said we'd do that hasn't been done yet
  
==People Wanted==
+
* [[Bicycology/Archive]] A list of things out of date stuff removed from the WIKI.  If you spot something out of date, move it to here, and once it's been archived it can be removed totally.
  
We're still looking for a few dedicated individuals with particular skills to come along on our roadshow. At the moment, we're looking for people with interests/skills in: street theatre/performance art; bike modification; documentation. Please get in touch if you're interested or want to know more.
+
* [[Bicycology/BGTB]] The Bicycology Guide to Bicycology - Drafts for new pages, plus archive of old text (ready for updating)
  
We're also looking for people in Aylesbury, Nottingham and Leeds who would like to help organise our stay there.
+
* [[Bicycology/Blog]] Getting started with the Bicycology blog
  
==Who's Riding Who?==
+
* [[Bicycology/Text]] All text and artwork for discussion/editing (other than Guide pages) here
  
can you update this with your lovely spreadsheet, matt? james
+
* [[Bicycology/Films]] Record of the films we have
  
There are a number of bikes that will need to be adopted...so some people will have to sacrifice bringing their own beloved stead...
+
* [[Bicycology/Insurance]] If someone need insurance details they are here
  
Hopefully we can cahnge around a lot, so we all get to experience diffreent bikes and no one gets stuck on something they're not happy with...but for practical purposes I think we all need to adopt a vehicle so we know where we are.
+
* [[Bicycology/MaxPunnage]] Space for sharing/discussing possible names for the 'tourtoise' / any other slogan type debates (ie, the old one)
  
The 'unusual' bikes are the ones that will need to be sorted first...I've added some names but these are just guidelines...people can add/remove at will...remember, this doesn't mean you'll be riding this all the way, but it does mean you'll be at least ataking some responsibility and probably leaving your own bike at home...we could also work in units, so two people adopt the tall bike and a shared normal bike, for example...
+
* [[Bicycology/Media]] Press releases etc
Anyway...
+
  
Tandem One: Ian/Tim
+
* [[Bicycology/Meetings]] A Page with a proposed general meeting structure, also dates of meeting and links to previous minutes?
  
The tandem Fomerly Known As Tandem Three: (Semi-Recumbent): Chris/Matt - at least part of the time.(If other tandem doesn't exist)
+
* [[Bicycology/Money]] Budget info, tracking income and expenditure, bank details etc.
  
Tall Bike: James.
+
* [[Bicycology/Music]] Add requests for tunes you want to hear on the ride
  
Other Bikes...
+
* [[Bicycology/Stockroom]] What have we got and where
  
Jack also says: I'm up for riding on one (or both, though not at the same time...) of the tandems with space on them; mainly because I've never ridden on one before. Jack adds : as I can't do the whole tour unless I take my own bike and there is already someone on a tandem I ride, I would have to ride the tandem until someone else joined who could take over from me. (Ben, or charlotte for instance?)
+
* [[Bicycology/Website]] all things website
  
Normal bike: unless we are desperate for tandem/tallbike riders, i'd like to stick with my normal bike please, towing my lovely load carrying trailer which can be filled with art stuff-Imogen.
+
* [[Talk:Bicycology#Wiki Development]] Discussion about how to develop wiki
 +
* [[Talk:Bicycology#CTC Debate]] Offer of CTC partnership/ sponsorship - see
  
Normal (touring) bike plus energy trailer: Patrick
+
* [[Bicycology Research]] Bicycological things we've been researching and wish to share with the group
  
Normal bike + trailer (beautiful bicycle one or campaigns/info one) : Charlotte - but i will ride a tandem (and not take my bike) if necessary.
+
<pre>
 +
Quick guide to adding additional pages where necessary. Edit this section and add your new page title to the list,
 +
following the format of the existing ones. For example, to add a page about cider you would add something like:
  
==Energy and Film==
 
  
One of our aims is to make links between cycling and wider environmental issues such as climate change. We're serious about taking responsibility for our own energy needs, and about demonstrating the feasibility of appropriate technology that meets people's needs without compromising the environment. We are developing a Bicycology Energy Trailer which will incorporate different forms of renewable small scale energy production, including a wind turbine, solar panels, and a novel rear axle stand pedal generator that turns a normal bike into a electrical power source. Energy will be stored on the bike trailer in batteries and used to power music and micro-cinema. This way, we'll be able to stop anywhere and show people renewable energy in action. We'll also carry a projector for film shows at venues.
+
* [[Bicycology/Cider]] This is a page about the joys of fermented crushed apples
  
Below is an early prototype showing energy trailer ideas starting to take shape!
 
  
[[Image:Energy_trailer.jpg]]
+
Once you save your edit then you can just click on the new link and it will take you to a blank page that you can start editing.
 +
Don't go mad creating new pages tho...:
 +
</pre>
  
Feel free to add other energy related ideas here: bubble machine, gameboy, separate children's pedal generator(?), light bulbs (to show difference between low energy and conventional bulbs), funky LED lights for the evening
+
==2008 - Routes to Solutions==
  
Hope to add a link here to a list of films, slideshows or other visual material that we can take with us to show.
+
[[Bicycology/RTSStuff]] Links to all the pages for organising Routes to Solutions
  
==Bicycological Quizasaurous==
+
==2006 - Tour==
  
Format: Bicycological Study of Personal Relationships with Bike, Climate Chaos Quizasuarous, Dr Bike's surgical examination.
+
* [[Bicycology/2006Tour]]
  
Questions:
+
== Wiki Users ==
  
10. What do we need to change in order to avert catastrophic climate chaos?
+
Here are links to the ActiviX User Pages of all the Bicycologists who have contributed to the Bicycology Wiki as of July 26th 2006. People might want to start keeping some stuff specific to them on their own pages. Note, these are general AktiviX user pages so you don' need to restrict yourself to stuff about Bicycology!
a) our lifestyles b) our culture c) the social structure of capitalism d) the social structure of patriarchy e) the social structure of hierarchy f) all of the above
+
  
How many puncture repair kits does it take to change an overly oil-dependent and oppressive economic system?
+
* [[User:Aurora]]
300, 500, 1000? even we don't know!
+
* [[User:Inmyfootsteps]]
 
+
* [[User:Matt]]
How many emails does it take to organise an bike-powered revolutionary cell?
+
* [[User:Ianji]]
542 (27/07/2006) and counting!
+
* [[User:JackD]]
 
+
* [[User:Patrick]]
Prizes: Badges, Posters, Reflective bits and bobs, Patches, BGTBs, Puncture Repair Kits, Cider
+
* [[User:Topher]]
 
+
* [[User:Imogen s]]
== Flyer Designs ==
+
* [[User:Bicycolottie]]
 
+
* [[User:Tabs]]
* [https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Image:Bicycologyflyer1.jpg With Mission Statement - 4 per page]
+
* [[User:Sciclist]]
* [https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Image:Bicycologyflyer2.jpg With Tour Dates - 4 per page]
+
* [[User:AlinedGiff]]
 
+
== Pulling Power inspiration ==
+
 
+
[[Image:Bikeload.JPG ]]
+
 
+
[[Image:Hillwashingmachine.jpg]]
+
 
+
(ok, it's electric assist, and the washing machine isn't pedal powered either, but still...!)
+

Latest revision as of 21:56, 25 May 2011

Bicycology is a collective formed by riders who wanted to build on their shared experience of the 2005 G8 Bike Ride and organise future events of a similar nature. By focusing on cycling we aim to persue our vision of a just and sustainable world through a combination of education, entertainment and creative direct action. The collective was formed during a weekend meeting at the Sumac Centre in November 2005 with 15 original members. There is also a Bicycology Website.

Latest Action Points

Older not-yet-completed Action Points and longer term aims/ideas can be found here: https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/ActionPoints

Latest News

Calendar

January

February

March

25th-27th Bicycology Meeting number 30 in London

April

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

Additional Pages

Anyone know if we can push this into a box like the contents one?

  • Bicycology/Archive A list of things out of date stuff removed from the WIKI. If you spot something out of date, move it to here, and once it's been archived it can be removed totally.
  • Bicycology/BGTB The Bicycology Guide to Bicycology - Drafts for new pages, plus archive of old text (ready for updating)
  • Bicycology/Text All text and artwork for discussion/editing (other than Guide pages) here
  • Bicycology/MaxPunnage Space for sharing/discussing possible names for the 'tourtoise' / any other slogan type debates (ie, the old one)
  • Bicycology/Meetings A Page with a proposed general meeting structure, also dates of meeting and links to previous minutes?
  • Bicycology/Money Budget info, tracking income and expenditure, bank details etc.
  • Bicycology Research Bicycological things we've been researching and wish to share with the group
Quick guide to adding additional pages where necessary. Edit this section and add your new page title to the list,
following the format of the existing ones. For example, to add a page about cider you would add something like:


* [[Bicycology/Cider]] This is a page about the joys of fermented crushed apples


Once you save your edit then you can just click on the new link and it will take you to a blank page that you can start editing.
Don't go mad creating new pages tho...:

2008 - Routes to Solutions

Bicycology/RTSStuff Links to all the pages for organising Routes to Solutions

2006 - Tour

Wiki Users

Here are links to the ActiviX User Pages of all the Bicycologists who have contributed to the Bicycology Wiki as of July 26th 2006. People might want to start keeping some stuff specific to them on their own pages. Note, these are general AktiviX user pages so you don' need to restrict yourself to stuff about Bicycology!