Difference between revisions of "Bicycology/Meetings"

From Aktivix
Jump to: navigation, search
(inserted facilitation guidelines document)
m (Facilitation Document: altered headings)
Line 87: Line 87:
 
== Facilitation Document ==
 
== Facilitation Document ==
  
Meeting organisation
+
'''Meeting organisation'''
 +
 
 
Decisions regarding Bicycology are made by consensus. Facilitators assist in this process. There are several different roles, pre-facilitators, meeting facilitators, minute takers and meeting organisers
 
Decisions regarding Bicycology are made by consensus. Facilitators assist in this process. There are several different roles, pre-facilitators, meeting facilitators, minute takers and meeting organisers
  
Pre-facilitators - organising the agenda prior to the meeting
+
'''Pre-facilitators - organising the agenda prior to the meeting '''
 +
 
-2-4 people needed, depending on the length and nature of the meeting.  
 
-2-4 people needed, depending on the length and nature of the meeting.  
 +
 
-Agenda items
 
-Agenda items
 
Template agenda with ‘regular’ agenda items specified is available on the wiki (CHECK)
 
Template agenda with ‘regular’ agenda items specified is available on the wiki (CHECK)
 
Additional content will include both items raised at the previous meeting and issues that have arisen since
 
Additional content will include both items raised at the previous meeting and issues that have arisen since
 +
 
-Circulating the agenda
 
-Circulating the agenda
 
Draft agenda circulated 3-4 weeks prior to meeting for amendments
 
Draft agenda circulated 3-4 weeks prior to meeting for amendments
 
Final agenda circulated 1 week prior to meeting  
 
Final agenda circulated 1 week prior to meeting  
 +
 
-Timing
 
-Timing
 
Sessions should not exclude 2 hours
 
Sessions should not exclude 2 hours
 
Lunch and  breaks will be scheduled  
 
Lunch and  breaks will be scheduled  
 +
 
-Facilitators; where it is felt it would be appropriate for the meeting
 
-Facilitators; where it is felt it would be appropriate for the meeting
 
Two meeting facilitators assigned to each session.
 
Two meeting facilitators assigned to each session.
 +
 
-Timetabling
 
-Timetabling
 
Where possible a free session will be left, at the end of the meeting, to allow for overrun
 
Where possible a free session will be left, at the end of the meeting, to allow for overrun
 +
 
-Pre-facilitators may need to amend the agenda during the meeting
 
-Pre-facilitators may need to amend the agenda during the meeting
  
Meeting facilitators – facilitating discussions within the meeting
+
'''Meeting facilitators – facilitating discussions within the meeting'''
 +
 
 
-Two people should facilitators each session
 
-Two people should facilitators each session
 +
 
-Where possible, facilitators discuss before the session
 
-Where possible, facilitators discuss before the session
 
What tasks each is going to take i.e., taking hands, time keeping
 
What tasks each is going to take i.e., taking hands, time keeping
 
What facilitation techniques are best used, including games and breaks as appropriate
 
What facilitation techniques are best used, including games and breaks as appropriate
  
Minute taker – recording discussion, decisions and action points
+
'''Minute taker – recording discussion, decisions and action points'''
 +
 
 
At the meeting
 
At the meeting
 +
 
-One person taking minutes in each session. Alternates by session and can be arranged at the time
 
-One person taking minutes in each session. Alternates by session and can be arranged at the time
 +
 
-Aim to write the minutes so that someone who wasn't at the meeting would be able to understand them.  
 
-Aim to write the minutes so that someone who wasn't at the meeting would be able to understand them.  
 +
 
-Minutes should take the following form
 
-Minutes should take the following form
 
Name of the group – Bicycology
 
Name of the group – Bicycology
 
Date, time and place of the meeting
 
Date, time and place of the meeting
 
For each agenda item:  
 
For each agenda item:  
 +
 
-Summary of the issue and information shared capturing key points (should this include who said what?)
 
-Summary of the issue and information shared capturing key points (should this include who said what?)
 +
 
-PROPOSALS should be stated accurately. Using capital letters makes these easy to identify. It may be necessary to read them back to the group
 
-PROPOSALS should be stated accurately. Using capital letters makes these easy to identify. It may be necessary to read them back to the group
 +
 
-ACTIONS need to be assigned to individuals. Again the standard use of capitals allows for easy identification.  
 
-ACTIONS need to be assigned to individuals. Again the standard use of capitals allows for easy identification.  
 +
 
After the meeting  
 
After the meeting  
 +
 
-Someone needs to take on finalising the minutes and circulating them to the group. This would ideally be completed within one week of the meeting.
 
-Someone needs to take on finalising the minutes and circulating them to the group. This would ideally be completed within one week of the meeting.
 
Action points should be compiled and listed at the start of the document for easy reference.  
 
Action points should be compiled and listed at the start of the document for easy reference.  
 
Two weeks prior to the next meeting the action points should be resent to the list.
 
Two weeks prior to the next meeting the action points should be resent to the list.
  
Meeting organiser – organising eating and sleeping arrangements at the meeting location
+
'''Meeting organiser – organising eating and sleeping arrangements at the meeting location'''
 +
 
 
-One or more people
 
-One or more people
 +
 
-Usually carried out be the person living at the meeting location
 
-Usually carried out be the person living at the meeting location
 +
 
-Organising food for the duration of the meeting
 
-Organising food for the duration of the meeting
 +
 
-Organising cooks if appropriate
 
-Organising cooks if appropriate
 +
 
-Circulating information regarding location and arrival / departure information as required.
 
-Circulating information regarding location and arrival / departure information as required.

Revision as of 12:24, 5 November 2009

Patrick and Aurora are going to write a (or possibly two) meeting structures: for future meetings (and for on tour, daily meetings)

Patrick has had a go at both of these. They includes timing guidelines.


Model agenda for general Bicyology weekend meetings

SATURDAY MORNING SESSION 11.00 - 1.00

  • Agree agenda and schedule (15 mins)
  • Quick review of action points from previous minutes (30 mins).
    • Record items still to be done, but no extended discussion!
    • If necessary write items on whiteboard for inclusion later in meeting.
  • Ongoing Items (1 hour)
    • Finance (10 mins)
    • Website (20 mins)
    • Media and publicity (20 mins)

LUNCH 1.00 - 2.30

SATURDAY AFTERNOON SESSION 2.30 - 6.30

  • Tour planning (4 hours, with breaks for tea, cake and games)
    • Route, venues and events (1 hour)
    • People, bikes and equipment (1 hour)
    • Publicity and printing (1 hour)

SUPPER AND WORKING GROUPS 6.30 - 9.00


SUNDAY MORNING SESSION 10.00 - 12.00

  • Other (non-Tour) Events and Activities (1 hour)
  • Review action points and priorities from this meeting (30 mins)
  • Set date/s of next meeting/s (10 mins)

LUNCH 12.00 - 2.00

SUNDAY AFTERNOON 2.00 -

  • Bike games / working groups


Model agenda for daily on-tour meetings

(Aim for 20-30 minute meeting)

  • Daily co-ordinator calls meeting
  • Play a game
  • Appoint a note-taker
  • Go-round how are we feeling and items for discussion
  • Bikes and equipment issues
  • Money issues
  • Food issues
  • Venue issues
  • Plan for today/tomorrow
  • AOB
  • Agree tomorrows daily co-ordinator
  • Notetaker reads out agreed actions

Previous Meetings

The latest Action Points are on the front page of the wiki https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology#Latest_Action_Points. Older ones that haven't been done yet are here: https://en.wiki.aktivix.org/Bicycology/ActionPoints

Below is a list of our previous meetings. A link to minutes would be good for each.

  • Coventry Meeting 16th-17th May 2009
  • Northampton Meeting 17th April 2009
  • Hastings Meeting 20th-23rd February 2009
  • Coventry Bike fixing 2009
  • Leicester Meeting November 2008
  • Nottingham Meeting May 2008
  • Hastings Meeting
  • Leicester 8th-10th March 2008
  • Stroud 1-3rd February 2008
  • Rampart 14th-16 December 2007
  • Anglesey

- 2007 Tour -

  • Lancaster

Facilitation Document

Meeting organisation

Decisions regarding Bicycology are made by consensus. Facilitators assist in this process. There are several different roles, pre-facilitators, meeting facilitators, minute takers and meeting organisers

Pre-facilitators - organising the agenda prior to the meeting

-2-4 people needed, depending on the length and nature of the meeting.

-Agenda items Template agenda with ‘regular’ agenda items specified is available on the wiki (CHECK) Additional content will include both items raised at the previous meeting and issues that have arisen since

-Circulating the agenda Draft agenda circulated 3-4 weeks prior to meeting for amendments Final agenda circulated 1 week prior to meeting

-Timing Sessions should not exclude 2 hours Lunch and breaks will be scheduled

-Facilitators; where it is felt it would be appropriate for the meeting Two meeting facilitators assigned to each session.

-Timetabling Where possible a free session will be left, at the end of the meeting, to allow for overrun

-Pre-facilitators may need to amend the agenda during the meeting

Meeting facilitators – facilitating discussions within the meeting

-Two people should facilitators each session

-Where possible, facilitators discuss before the session What tasks each is going to take i.e., taking hands, time keeping What facilitation techniques are best used, including games and breaks as appropriate

Minute taker – recording discussion, decisions and action points

At the meeting

-One person taking minutes in each session. Alternates by session and can be arranged at the time

-Aim to write the minutes so that someone who wasn't at the meeting would be able to understand them.

-Minutes should take the following form Name of the group – Bicycology Date, time and place of the meeting For each agenda item:

-Summary of the issue and information shared capturing key points (should this include who said what?)

-PROPOSALS should be stated accurately. Using capital letters makes these easy to identify. It may be necessary to read them back to the group

-ACTIONS need to be assigned to individuals. Again the standard use of capitals allows for easy identification.

After the meeting

-Someone needs to take on finalising the minutes and circulating them to the group. This would ideally be completed within one week of the meeting. Action points should be compiled and listed at the start of the document for easy reference. Two weeks prior to the next meeting the action points should be resent to the list.

Meeting organiser – organising eating and sleeping arrangements at the meeting location

-One or more people

-Usually carried out be the person living at the meeting location

-Organising food for the duration of the meeting

-Organising cooks if appropriate

-Circulating information regarding location and arrival / departure information as required.