ImcUkOutreach17Sept2007

From Aktivix
Jump to: navigation, search

Here are the minutes for the imc-uk-outreach meeting on Tuesday 17th April, 2007 as taken by lordrich. Lordrich was sat in a room full of D&D geeks fighting spiders at the time, zie appologises if zie missed anything important.


nb. Times are in UTC.

Climate Camp

lordrich - contact ps.and and CC finance about getting bandwidth and funding
lordrich - contact CC workshops about running workshops
Genny - attend Liverpool CC meeting
Ben - look into funding a projector

Big Green

Ben will be running the alt media tent, further discussion needed on what workshops to run.

Schnews Gathering

A few indymedia people are attending as individuals, possibly offer to run something as Indymedia.

Offline

Birmingham planning on starting a print newsletter soon, it would be nice to have something similar to take to festivals this summer.

Indymedia for newbies

It would be nice to have leaflets to give to people, esp after workshops, with how to post to Indy, etc. This was not discussed in detail.

#UK IRC Log


18:45 <@lordrich> do we need to set an agenda?
18:45 < Genny> agenda?  mmmm...
18:45 <@lordrich> Big Green Gathering, Climate Camp, anything else?
18:46 <@lordrich> climate camp gathering this weekend
18:46 <@shiar> does this include print?
18:46 <@shiar> like offline
18:47 <@Gennny> i think outreach should include print
18:48 <@shiar> we're starting a monthly print indy newsletter in brum soon...
18:49 <@lordrich> cool, concentrating on Birmingham topics or more general?
18:49 <@Gennny> all from newswire or other stuff too?
18:49 <@shiar> i guess a bit focusing on brum
18:49 <@shiar> from nw and features
18:50 <@shiar> notts did that a while ago too
18:50 <@Gennny> how are you financing it?  will it be a free newssheet
18:50 <@shiar> yes
18:50 <@shiar> we're supposed to do a fundraiser soon
18:51 <@Gennny> excellent, although it's a lot of work to produce something every month
18:51 <@Gennny> you got plenty of helpers?
18:51 <@shiar> yep
18:51 <@shiar> not at all :(
18:51 <@Gennny> i do a quarterly thing and i've only just recovered before it's time to start again :o(
18:52 <@shiar> anyway, i just thought we might want to add that to agenda too
18:52 <@Gennny> yep
18:52 <@shiar> yeah
18:52 <@Gennny> i had an idea about producing some instructions in print for indymedia beginners
18:52 <@Gennny> which could maybe be given to people at outreach things like bgg and climate camp
18:52 <@Gennny> can that go on the agenda?
18:52 <@Gennny> unless they already exist, of course...
18:53 <@shiar> sounds good
18:53 <@shiar> we started working on a similar thing for g8
18:53 <@shiar> i guess it would do for indy in genera;
18:53 <@shiar> general
18:53 <@shiar> https://g8.indymedia.org.uk/Good_Reporting
18:54 <@Gennny> great, i'll look at that.
18:54 <@shiar> i don't think it exists https://publish.indymedia.org.uk/en/static/offline.html
18:55 <@Gennny> i've just found it at the first address
18:58 <@lordrich> There may be some basic docs on docs.indy, but a nice leaflet on "indymedia for newbies" would be nice
18:59 <@Gennny> yeah, that's what i was thinking of
18:59 < skep> Gennny: are you the one who answered the call for volunteers (g8)?
19:00 <@Gennny> something for people to take away after doing a basic "how to" workshop, because if they're anything like me, they'll forget most of what the workshop covered in about ten minutes :o)
19:00 <@Gennny> ah, that would have been my alterego, genny with 2 ns.
19:00 < skep> right
19:01 <@Gennny> but i'm not sure about the dates now...
19:01 <@Gennny> but it might be ok
19:03 <@shiar> so what's the agenda?
19:03 <@shiar> who's facilitating? who's taking notes?
19:03 <@lordrich> I'll take notes
19:04 <@lordrich> For agenda I have:
19:05 <@lordrich> Climate Camp
19:05 <@lordrich> Big Green Gathering
19:05 <@lordrich> Print
19:05 <@lordrich> Indymedia for newbies
19:05 <@lordrich> This weekend
19:05 <@lordrich> anything else?
19:06 <@shiar> what's "this weekend"?
19:07 <@Gennny> That looks good
19:07 <@lordrich> Climate Camp gathering this weekend expect Indymedia to give a report on plans for CC
19:08 <@Gennny> oh yeah, i should put that in my diary.  and find out where it is, time etc
19:09 <@shiar> ok
19:11 <@Gennny> so we have an agenda and a note-taker.  do we need a facilitator to get going?
19:12 <@lordrich> don't think we really need a facilitator, shall we just start on Climate Camp?
19:12 <@Gennny> yep
19:13 <@shiar> ok
19:13 <@Gennny> has any planning already been done for this?
19:13 <@lordrich> not that I'm aware of, we apparently have a promise of equipment from Bristol Wireless again
19:13 <@lordrich> but I think that's all that's been planned
19:14 <@Gennny> tent?
19:14 <@lordrich> don't know
19:14 <@lordrich> is Ben around?
19:14 <@lordrich> he might know more
19:14 <@Gennny> what do we need, on top of the stuff from Bristol Wireless?  
19:14 <@shiar> Ben1?
19:15 <@Gennny> tent, helpers, other equipment, ...
19:16 <@Gennny> loads of maqui's leaflets about last climate camp
19:18 < deano> hello indys
19:19 <@shiar> might be useful to try to outline what indy wants to do there?
19:19 <@Gennny> hi deano
19:19 < deano> hi genny
19:19 <@shiar> like public access computers, screenings etc
19:20 <@lordrich> and workshops?
19:20 <@Gennny> er... have a space where people can report from, and encourage people to do their own reporting?
19:21 < deano> sorry, r we discussing Schnews gathering?
19:21 <@Gennny> yeah
19:21 <@shiar> no climate camp
19:21 <@Gennny> climate camp
19:21 < deano> ok cheers
19:22 <@lordrich> although we might want to add schnews gathering to the agenda
19:22 <@shiar> was just gonna say that
19:22 <@lordrich> The minimum we want at Climate Camp is "have a space where people can report from, and encourage people to do their own reporting?
19:23 <@lordrich> Anything else will surely depend on who's available
19:23 <@lordrich> The screening of videos was nice, but will depend on Mick (or somebody else with video experience)
19:23 < ben> hi
19:23 <@Gennny> i've just remembered, someone from climate camp asked me to discuss something here... hang on...
19:24 <@Gennny> from alexandra... can i just paste the whole lot here?  it's quite long
19:24  * ben wonders if he has stumbled in on an outreach meeting
19:24 <@lordrich> ben: yes you have
19:25  * ben wonders if that's good or bad
19:25 <@Gennny> yep, that's where you are
19:26  * ben crumbles quietly about his cold and how disgusting flat coke is then tries to concentrate on contributing something useful
19:26 < deano> hello ben
19:26 < ben> did i miss anything important
19:26 < ben> hi deano
19:27 <@lordrich> Not really, we're just discussing climate camp
19:27 < ben> k
19:27 < deano> the vid screenings were great 
19:27 < ben> what's the state of play? what do they want?
19:27 < ben> i notice a very unrealistic quote on indymedia expences at the last climate camp
19:28 < ben> somehow completely failed to include the cost of getting bristol wireless there and the satilite uplink
19:28 <@lordrich> who paid for that?
19:28 < ben> not to mention the fuel for the generator we were meant not to use
19:28  * chrisc if there is g3 access at the location for the next one that might be a cheaper option...
19:29 < ben> i have no idea who paid but i know it cost more than 40 quid
19:29 < ben> i can do g3 now, it's quite practical
19:29 < ben> especially combined with offline publishing
19:30 < ben> or should i say 'offline' batch publishing
19:30  * chrisc nods, if a few peole have g3 phones they could be rotated to try to keep people from hitting their bandwidth limits
19:30 <@lordrich> we'd have to be far more limiting on use for non-indymedia stuff though then
19:30 < ben> price wise, it's capped at a pound a day and the limit on bandwidth isn't too much unless somebody tried watching or uploading video
19:31 < ben> we could make it ALL indymedia ONLY
19:31 < ben> ie. no true web access at all
19:31 <@lordrich> we'd be really unpopular not providing any webaccess at all
19:31 < ben> just local mirror of indymedia plus batch uploading of articles and periodic rsync of the local site
19:32 < ben> Well, it depends on resources. If ps.and are up for supplying satelite and climate camp are up for paying for it, then bandwidth is not an issue
19:33 <@phunkee> lo
19:33 < ben> otherwise, it pretty much has to be indymedia only psuedo internet via GPRS
19:34 <@lordrich> climate camp have money we can access, how much would bandwidth cost?
19:35 < ben> I believe it's something like 250 to setup the satelite for any period, plus transport costs. and that assumes the group are up for coming but I guess they would be.
19:35 -!- HarryH [hhalpin@localhost] has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
19:35 < ben> I tried emailing them about their plans for the big green but got no reply (that I am aware of, email being as unreliable as it is)
19:36 <@lordrich> We'll need to submit a budget request for bandwidth, but should get 250
19:36 < ben> I've not enquired about they plans for the climate camp
19:36 < ben> first step would be to ask them and ask them what it would cost
19:37 < ben> (and ask them to bring cider)
19:37 < ben> Anyway, what did the climate camp say they actually wanted from indymedia?
19:37 < Genny> i've sent the message to the outreach list - it's arrived on my computer now...
19:38 < Caspar> there's an email on outreach about it
19:38 < ben> Apart from a physical presence at the last camp, I thought indymedia input into the camp was pretty shit
19:39 <@lordrich> yeah, CC would like people doing interviews etc. - or at least training people to do so
19:40 <@lordrich> I think doing workshops would be really useful
19:40 < Caspar> "There are different kinds of projects that we think are needed:
19:40 < Caspar> -documenting camp life apart from the day of action
19:40 < Caspar> -documenting and reporting on the mass action
19:40 < Caspar> -documenting and reporting on affinity group actions.
19:40 < Caspar> -an overall documentary of the camp (similar to Reclaim Power)"
19:40 <@lordrich> I think the documenting of things wasn't too bad last year
19:41 <@lordrich> But we could do much better by doing workshops early on
19:43 < ben> The whole 'no cameras' thing last year was a farce. the fact that reclaim power got produced at all was partly because of some people being 'braver' about ignoring the 'no cameras' thing that some of the tranquility cops were pushing.
19:43 <@lordrich> There's no official policy on cameras yet this year
19:43 < Genny> yeah, well they say they've got a much more camera friendly policy this time
19:43 < Genny>  in that email
19:43 <@lordrich> people realise that was a problem
19:43 < ben> cool
19:43 < ben> this is important...
19:43 < ben> "It is basically about improving the links between activist/indy"
19:44 < Genny> "We recognise that most of this is to do with
19:44 < Genny> last year's media policy which discouraged the use of cameras on site.
19:44 < Genny> That policy is going to change this year to be much more welcoming and
19:44 < Genny> encouraging of activist media taking footage and doing documentary
19:44 < Genny> projects
19:44 < Genny> "
19:44 < ben> photographers/videographers/writers and the climate camp media and
19:44 < ben> "networking group; based on lessons learned from last year."
19:45 < ben> So, basically, while last year grassroot media was effectively discouraged, this year it will not be. but...
19:46 < ben> last year, while the alt media was pretty poor in terms of access and direct involvement in the camp as a whole, the mainstream media was pretty good due to the efforts of the camp media group
19:46 <@shiar> should we add st george's day to the agenda? ;)
19:46 < Genny> the welsh dragon thinks not
19:46 < ben> This year, perhaps there can be a happy medium with indymedia people being part of the media group perhaps
19:47 <@lordrich> It'd be nice for somebody this weekend to tlak to the Media Group
19:47 < ben> to ensure that our own (meaning 'the movement') documentation of the camp and actions, gets at least as much priority as the mainstream.
19:47 < ben> Any indy people going to liverpool?
19:48 < Genny> hopefully, i'll get there
19:48 < ben> cool
19:50 < Genny> do we need to talk any more about climate camp?  maybe we should move down the agenda before i have to get off this computer
19:50 < ben> I think what is required is a slot in one of the camp wide meetings early on in the camp at which the case is made strongly for each and every workshop being documented either as written notes, audio recording or video if appropriate. Then indymedia provide the tools to allow that to happen, either training, equipement or upload access.
19:50 <@lordrich> that would be cool
19:51 <@lordrich> Are we going to offer workshops?
19:51 <@lordrich> I can email finance about money for bandwidth
19:51 <@lordrich> And email workshops about offering workshops
19:51 < ben> And, when ever a workshops starts, as well as asking who will facilitate, they also ask who is going to take notes and produce documentation of the workshop.
19:51 < ben> lordrich , don't email finance without getting an answer from ps.and first
19:52 <@lordrich> ok, are you in touch with them?
19:52 < ben> not really, google them for an email address
19:52 <@lordrich> ok, will do
19:52 < ben> somebody must have a phone number but I don't know whoi
19:52 < deano> i'm pretty sure maqui is in touch with psand
19:53 < ben> yeap
19:53 < ben> makes sense
19:54 <@lordrich> ok, so move on to discussing Big Green?
19:54 < ben> What kind of workshops would be useful? training types things obviously, audio editting certainly, writting newsreports, uploading, maybe video but probably not
19:54 < ben> done with climate camp?
19:54 < ben> somebody mentioned video screenings
19:54 <@lordrich> basic newswire posting I think is the most important workshop
19:55 < ben> if we want to do that I would like to propose that indymedia spend 400 pounds on a new projector
19:55 <@lordrich> video screenings would be good if we've got people with video experience there
19:55 < deano> showing rushes fresh from the days actions was v inspiring
19:55 < deano> what's with the old? projector?
19:55 < ben> old projector uses almost 200 watts
19:55 < ben> we ran on a genny
19:56 < deano> k
19:56 <@lordrich> Can we borrow one just for Climate Camp?
19:56 < ben> no
19:56 < ben> nobody has one
19:56 <@lordrich> Do we have the finances to buy a new projector?
19:56 < ben> they use less then 20watts! less than a 1/10 of normal projectors
19:57 < ben> well, I'm not sure. I know london has the money for one but London probably doesn't  need one
19:57  * Genny wonders if they come with a spare bulb
19:57 < ben> genny, they don't use bulbs
19:57 < Genny> fantastic!
19:57 < ben> they use superbright white LED arrays
19:57 < ben> 10,000 hour life at least
19:57 < ben> no cool down period
19:57 < deano> !!
19:58 <@phunkee> are they bright though
19:58 < ben> no danger of beaking bulb by knocking the unit while it is on
19:58 < ben> phunkee, no they are not as bright as normal projectors. they require good blackout, like you get in a field ;-)
19:58 < Genny> so, ok in august but possibly not in june?
19:59 < ben> Those army maquees are very dark, even in the day
19:59 < Genny> very true
19:59 < ben> hmmm... I'll ask around about funding one.
20:00 < ben> bring it up at the climate camp meeting, perhaps we could go halfs
20:00 < ben> i know the bicyclogy people are interested in getting one
20:00 < ben> (I quite fancy one too)
20:01 <@lordrich> CC might be able to lend a generator if they can find one, but probeably won't pay towards one
20:01 <@lordrich> there's an offer of a cinema at the camp, might be worth talking to them
20:01 < Indybot> [UK Indymedia Newswire] Vanunu Freedom Ride visits Nottingham - The Vanunu Freedom Ride (VFR), cycling from Faslane to London, visited Nottingham on April 16 to raise awareness of the plight of Israeli dissdent Mordechai Vanunu. - http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/04/368238.html
20:01 < ben> lordrich, that would suck. a generator ! 
20:01  * ben sighs
20:02 < ben> anyway, change of subject?
20:02 <@lordrich> yeah, move on to Big Green?
20:02 < ben> ok
20:03 <@lordrich> ben, you've been talking to BGG organisers?
20:04 < ben> no, i've talked to campaigns field organisers and taken on runing the alt media tent there
20:05 < Genny> so does indymedia need to communicate with campaigns/bgg separately or is it best for it all to be done via you and the alt media tent?
20:06 < ben> that's upto indymedia. i've got a big marquee, space in the program for workshops, ticket allocation and a place to park my van ;-)
20:07 < deano> did you bring it up in the meet?
20:07 < deano> I've not seen minutes
20:07 < ben> if indymedia wanted to put in a proposal then obviously it can. there are two possible locations - the campaign field or the amare field
20:07 < ben> deano, what meeting? the last one was a no show
20:07 < Genny> heh!  I didn't mean set up an alternative tent, but whether you had enough tickets to cover all the alt media people running workshops or whether indymedia should apply for its own allocation if there won't be enough
20:08 < deano> ben: ok, hence no minutes
20:08 < Genny> cos i'm really keen to come along and help but i can't afford £100 or whatever they charge to be big and green these days
20:09 < ben> genny, ticket wise, it depends on how many idey folk want them. i have to fill a whole program of workshops and use tickets as bribes so I will not be giving them to any random indy bod who wants a blag in unless they are commited to running the space.
20:10 < ben> does that make sense?
20:10 < deano> prob I'll be there anyhoo and I'd be up for doing daily workshops on whatever I can confidently do
20:10 < ben> cool
20:10 < deano> it makes sense
20:11 < ben> I wrote a list of possible workshops and people to run them - I can pull it out if people here are interested
20:11 < deano> please
20:11 < ben> but I think it would be more productive to talk specifically about indymedi initially at least
20:12 < Genny> ok, what i was trying to say was that i realise you have a whole prog of workshops to fill and will need tickets for this
20:12 < Genny> think you explained that pretty clearly in your email
20:12 < ben> like, whether there is interest or need to have a specific indymedia info space either as a seperate 'campaign' tent or whether to host indymedia within the alt media marquee I've already got
20:13 < Genny> no, my own feeling is that it would be best to do it all in the one space
20:13 < ben> genny, I'm sure I have enough tickets for all the indy bods who are likely to want to contribute
20:13 < Genny> unless there are loads of people around to run it and with equipment etc
20:14 < ben> i think one good space sounds better than multiple spaces with people and resources spread more thinly
20:14 < Caspar> I'd have liked to have gone to BGG but it's out of my price range and I'm not indy-knowledgable enough to actually help out yet
20:14 < Genny> yeah, definitely
20:14 < ben> I got the name of the space changed to 'be the media' ;-)
20:15 < ben> and somebody is making a big banner
20:15 < ben> so, what does everyone else think?
20:15 <@shiar> that's indymedia slogan innit? ;)
20:15 < ben> (c) indymedia 1999
20:15 <@shiar> hehe
20:16 < ben> so sue me
20:16 <@shiar> i'll raise that at next network meeting ;)
20:17 < Genny> I think that there willegal should be involved!
20:17 < Genny> that should have said...
20:17 < Genny> "legal should be involved"
20:17 < Genny> dunno where the  rest came from
20:17 <@shiar> whatssssss
20:17 <@shiar> oopss
20:17 < Genny> it's late
20:18 <@shiar> so what are the workshops on list
20:18 < ben> hold on, i'll see if i can acess them. i am not at home
20:19 < ben> no, i'll have to go home
20:19 < Genny> from your prev. email?
20:19 < Genny> daily practical sessions that
20:19 < Genny> would be producing actually alt media content such as audio recording and
20:19 < Genny> edits from talks being given around site, edited video pieces, written
20:19 < Genny> articles and photos.
20:19 < Genny> ?]
20:19 < ben> i'll be back on in 5 mins
20:22 <@shiar> is that a 5m break? :)
20:34 < Ben1> hello
20:34 < Ben1> back
20:34 < Ben1> home
20:34 < Ben1> need
20:34 < Ben1> to
20:34 < Ben1> pee
20:34 < Ben1> but 
20:34 < Ben1> i am
20:34 < Ben1> here
20:36 < Ben1> hi zoe
20:37 < Ben1> this list of workshop ideas has people names so i'd like to take the meeting over to a seperate channel
20:37 < Ben1> those interested, please come to #bgg
20:47 < Genny> back to outreach here, then.... schnews...
20:47 <@shiar> so the schnew alt media gathering is on May 11-13th 2007 
20:48 < Genny> yeah, i saw their call-out
20:48 < Genny> has anyone responded yet, do you know?
20:48 <@Tash> me
20:48 <@shiar> i don't think so
20:48 <@shiar> oh
20:48 <@shiar> in a personal capacity like?
20:48 <@shiar> i know a couple of us rea going
20:49 <@Tash> yep, been involved since they started
20:49 <@shiar> ah i c
20:49 <@shiar> would be nice to have a workshop about indy or something
20:49 <@Tash> cja campaingn etc
20:50 <@Tash> i saying sommat about photography, i think
20:50 <@shiar> and maybe do a little screening
20:50 <@Tash> they asked for some stuff to show,, yep
20:51 <@Tash> wietse coming also, me thinks
20:52 <@shiar> so maybe someone can email them and ask what indy could do?
20:53 <@shiar> and then come back to the lists and ask for volunteers?
20:54 < Genny> i think schnews have already posted a call-out to all regions and maybe other lists?
20:55 <@Tash> they have, and were amazed no one got back to them, then .....
20:55 <@Tash> but think this has changed now
20:56 <@Tash> "A person with the email Kriptick (I don't know if I know him/her), has 
20:56 <@Tash> offered to do a workshop on 'direct action photography'"
20:56 <@shiar> he's from imc london i think
20:56 <@shiar> that's good
20:57 <@Tash> don't know he, or his work, but guess i'll find out
20:58 < Genny> he did that great photo from the trident critical mass of a fish on a bicycle :o)
20:59 <@shiar> yes he posts a lot of stuff
21:00 <@shiar> anyway, i guess it would be nice if someone could also do a general intro about indymedia
21:28 < ben> offline? as in an edition of indy offline for distribution at bgg? good idea if so
21:28 <@shiar> so next on the agenda is print, offline and maybe flyers and stickers
21:29 <@shiar> i guess both
21:29 <@shiar> would be nice to have special editions for events like that
21:29 <@shiar> but also in general
21:30 < ben> you mean discussion about offline as a workshop?
21:31 <@shiar> no, to have something to distribute there
21:31 <@shiar> but yeah, maybe use it as example for print workshop
21:31 <@shiar> or newspapers
21:31 < ben> shiar: i guess both
21:31 <@shiar> and work on a one there
21:31 < ben> both what?
21:31  * ben is lost
21:32 <@shiar> both: at bgg and other events and regularly
21:33 < ben> that's three things now
21:33 <@shiar> yep :)
21:33 < ben> ok
21:33 < ben> so stickers/ flyers?
21:33 <@shiar> we're starting a brum offline soon
21:34  * ben wants to see an indymedia 'business' card
21:34 <@shiar> yes, we need flyers/stickers all the time, any idea how that happens?
21:34 <@shiar> hehe
21:35 < ben> somebody designs them
21:35 < ben> somebody gets a quote for printing
21:35 <@Tash> its a mystery innit
21:35 < ben> somebody proposes money gets spent
21:35 <@shiar> are there any old ones left anywhere
21:35 < ben> everyone else ignores the proposal for weeks
21:35 < ben> first person takes that as agreement
21:35 < ben> then tries to extract money 
21:36 < ben> - does that sound like the process?
21:36 <@shiar> yeah, sounds familiar
21:37 <@shiar> can we print out more of some old designs?
21:37 <@shiar> hmm money
21:37 <@shiar> and...
21:38 <@shiar> anyidea where i could get the offline template other than docs.indy?
21:38 < ben> might have one
21:38 < ben> hold on
21:38 <@Tash> i had some london imc stickers, from when we had the g8 meet there. i used them in nottm, crossing out london, with a felt pen
21:38 <@Tash> useless eh!
21:38 <@shiar> there was a scribus one
21:39 < ben> need generic agit prop - not region or time specific
21:39  * shiar nods
21:40 < ben> got something here called offline.template
21:40 < ben> not sure what it is
21:40 < ben> should i email it?
21:40 <@shiar> yes pls
21:40 < ben> address
21:40 <@shiar> shiar at riseup.net
21:40 < ben> k
21:40 <@shiar> ta
21:41 <@shiar> so should we propose printing out some stickers?
21:41 <@shiar> and flyers
21:42 <@shiar> for the events we talked about but also ship some to regions who want some
21:43  * mp thinks to himself that one better be careful with stickers at the BGG, could attract the sticker police unless they're green bla bla stickers
21:43 < ben> offline.template is mir template - sorry can't find correct one
21:43 < ben> must be on old laptop
21:43 <@shiar> no worries
21:43 <@shiar> thnx anyway
21:43 < ben> deano might have it?
21:44 <@shiar> indy stickers didn't really stick anyway ;)
21:44 < ben> sticker too old to stick now
21:45 <@shiar> so anything else (i gotta go soon)?
21:47 < ben> think that's a lot covered. good ideas and areas to work on.
21:47 < ben> maybe we could have a network meeting at the bgg?
21:48 <@mp> sounds like a good plan - but you are likely to hear EXCLUSIVE screamed, since it is around a 100 squid to get in, unless you have an arrangement - which not everyone can get
21:50 < ben> true... kinda... (although everyone could get 'an arrangement' if they were that bothered)
21:50 < ben> but lots of indy bods will be there anyway so it is possible
21:51  * shiar don't think it's a good idea generally to have ntw meeting at big events
21:51 <@shiar> as there are a lot of 'distractions'
21:54 < ben> true... but if we are arranging workshops, why not one about/for the network?
21:55 <@shiar> well isn't really enough, is it, if we're talking about a ntw meeting
21:56 <@shiar> one isn't...
21:56 <@shiar> anyway, you can propose that and see how it goes
21:57 <@shiar> there's the money issue too
21:58 < ben> i can see that it couldn't be a network meeting in the sense of being a decision making body, but it could be a meeting of peoplle from around the network - a useful face2face chance to chat etc
21:58 <@shiar> sure
21:59 <@shiar> what's happening with the mini one btw?
22:00 <@shiar> that's the weekend after the schnews thing innit?
22:01 < ben> thinking of canceling it. we've had to postpone the rampart anniversary  due to another similar major event in london. there isn't a specific reason the mini network meeting can't still happen but it means there is less of a motive for people to take the time to come to london unless they fancy going to the autonomous artists event (which sounds pretty good).
22:02 <@shiar> right
22:02 <@shiar> hi ftp
22:03 <@ftp> hi shiar
22:03 <@shiar> nice audio :)
22:05 <@ftp> ty :)
22:06 <@ftp> good interviewees :D
22:07 <@shiar> yep
22:07 <@ftp> I'm hoping to get interviews with detainees soon :)
22:07 <@shiar> wow, that would be great
22:07 <@ftp> yes - I think so
22:08 <@shiar> via phone?
22:08 <@ftp> yes
22:08 <@shiar> cool
22:08 <@ftp> just have to get studio time
22:08 <@shiar> nice one
22:08 <@ftp> is the topic out of date?
22:09 <@ftp> or are we diverting a meeting?
22:09 <@shiar> it's over
22:09 <@ftp> good good

#BGG Log

20:57 < ben> Programme daytimes:
20:57 < ben> Campaigns has yoga / selfdefence 9am just to use nice big space, talks 10 / 11.30 / 1 / 2.30 / 4 / 5.30. Talks finish 7. Close midnight.
20:58 < ben> so...
20:58 < Genny> not specifically wales, although we desperately need more people, especially ones who can translate,
20:58 < Genny> if we're going to get it off the ground
20:58 < ben> thats four days I think
20:58 < ben> with six large workshop periods per day
20:59 < Genny> will there be space for people to come in and use computers to post reports?
21:00 < Genny> you still there?
21:01 < ben> in my original 'offline indymedia' proposal, there would have been such facilities and I'd hope to achieve something like that in the alt media tent but I was not planning a 'cyber cafe' type thing.
21:01 < ben> bristol wireless do that
21:02 < shiar> right
21:02 < shiar> so you pretty much got it sorted no?
21:02 < Genny> it would make sense to have indymedia people around to help when people want to try out posting stuff to indymedia
21:02 < ben> i have three suitable laptops
21:02 < ben> which could connect via gprs
21:03 < ben> i also have a 12volt server with a mirror of indy on it (needs updating)
21:03 < ben> so with some techs to make it all work, it should be a practical little indymedia access point
21:03 < shiar> and you probably need a couple more laptops?
21:04 < ben> well, more laptops mean more power
21:04 < shiar> yeah
21:04 < ben> and more people wanting to use them
21:04 < ben> i thought keep it small but high quality use - IE NO EMAIL CHECKERS
21:05 < shiar> do you have a projector and stuff for worshops?
21:05 < ben> one on one training
21:05 < shiar> ah
21:05 < ben> or report uploads
21:05 < ben> imc london has projector
21:06 < ben> i'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of it being a screening space as there are so many cinemas at the big green
21:06 < ben> if we did it, it would need to be different, offer something the others are not
21:06 < ben> otherwise, what's the point?
21:06 < shiar> i meant to show stuff to people if there are loads of them
21:06 < ben> so, i thought perhaps screening content made during the day, like a newsreel or things people might have missed
21:07 < ben> shiar... ah, i see
21:07 < shiar> yep
21:07 < ben> well,
21:07 < ben> yes, possible
21:07 < ben> but got daylight issues to consider
21:07 < ben> it's a white marquee
21:07 < shiar> true
21:07 < shiar> hmm
21:07 < ben> and then there is the power issue to consider
21:08 < ben> but, yes, possible
21:08 < shiar> ok
21:08 < Genny> or the screenings could take place in other spaces perhaps?
21:08 < ben> apparently we can be supplied with blackout curtains and seperate off a room with room space
21:09 < ben> genny, shiar is talking about projections during training rather than showing films
21:09 < shiar> yes
21:09 < Genny> sorry.... yeah, blackout space would be good then
21:09  * shiar nods
21:10 < Genny> ...and that new projector
21:10 < shiar> so what other workshops, if any, are needed?
21:10 < ben> but yes, i think showing films in collaboration of dedicated screening spaces makes more sense than trying to duplicate and compete
21:10 < ben> of/with
21:10 < shiar> that would cool too
21:11 < ben> more workshops.... well, my plan is to recruit at the schnews gathering
21:11 < ben> job done ;-)
21:11 < shiar> sounds like a good plan :)
21:11 < ben> should try to cover all mediums
21:11 < ben> photo
21:11 < ben> vid
21:12 < ben> audio / radio
21:12 < ben> print / leaflets / booklets /newspapers
21:12 < ben> graffiti?
21:12 < ben> street theatre?
21:12 < ben> web
21:12 < ben> other internet / podcasts / rss feeds?
21:13 < shiar> hmm that's too abitious, me think
21:13 < shiar> graffiti and street theatre
21:13 < ben> what else is there?
21:13 < ben> think street theatre is doable
21:13 < ben> think mick fuzz is doing that kind of stuff this year
21:14 < shiar> alt/corp comparision?
21:14 < ben> graffiti, stencils etc also doable, but not sure who
21:14 < shiar> with some practical examples
21:14 < ben> as discussion? yyes
21:14 < shiar> i find that very useful to make people understand what we're on about
21:14 < ben> also, working with the mainstream
21:14 < ben> press releases etc
21:14 < Genny> subvertising
21:14 < ben> YES
21:14 < ben> nice
21:15 < ben> there are some exhibition available I think that could go up in the space
21:15 < ben> (along with the indymedia photo exhibit hopefully)
21:15  * ben hopes somebody is logging this meeting
21:16 < shiar> lordrich is supposed to
21:16 < Genny> i need a 'how to log' workshop.  you still there, rich?
21:17 < shiar> subvert: https://publish.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/birmingham/2006/05/340414.html
21:18 < ben> somebody took a load of photos of subverts to the bgg last year, i think we should be able to track them down
21:18 < Genny> Ha! Yeah, those people are from bristol - I've got a contact somewhere
21:18 < ben> cool
21:20 < ben> got somebody who has experience with self publish books (vegetarian guide to london among them)
21:20  * lordrich isn't really paying attention anymore but is still logging
21:21 < ben> ah... arrowfish does stencil stuff, he used to be indymedia person I think
21:21 < ben> hmmm... screen printing? to ambitious?
21:22 < Genny> There's a guy in wales who does kitchen sink type screenprinting workshops
21:22 < Genny> jon plumpton
21:22 < lordrich> Can I suggest a wiki page with all these on for people to sign up to?
21:22 < ben> want to sound him out?
21:22 < ben> lordrich... explain?
21:23 < Genny> yeah, i can ask him - he did something at EF! last year, but i seem to remember that he has an aversion to camping
21:23 < lordrich> well do we really need to discuss all this now, or can we just put up a wiki page?
21:24 < Genny> no, but before I lose it again, the subvertising guy is at info@graphicattack.org.uk
21:24  * shiar nods. this needs a seperate meeting
21:25 < ben> ok, so what is it that we do need to discuss now?
21:25 < Genny> afraid I'm going to go now in any case.  look forward to the notes :o)  See ya
21:25 < ben> bye
21:25 < shiar> bye
21:25 -!- Genny [vg@localhost] has left #bgg []
21:26 < shiar> print, offline and maybe flyers and stickers
21:26 < lordrich> I'm going to head off too
21:26 < lordrich> I'll leave IRC running and will post logs in the morning
21:26 < shiar> is you log long enough?
21:27 < shiar> ben: so maybe we should go back #uk ?
21:28 < ben> yeah