Usage Agreement for Mailing Lists
List Creation Conditions
If you create an aktivix.org list, you agree to the following conditions:
- Prior consent: Every email address which you add to your list must have given prior consent to be subscribed. Membership in an organization, signing up online or at a meeting, or verbal approval all count as prior consent. If in doubt, don't subscribe someone! If we receive complaints about your list, it may be placed on probation or disabled.
- Donations: It takes a lot of time and money to provide this service. It is funded entirely by donations from users like you. Unless you have no income, or live in the global south, visit Aktivix:AktivixDonate and contribute accordingly.
- Admin responsibilities: You, the list owner, are responsible for unsubscribing people, moderating the list, removing bouncing subscribers, closing unused lists, and responding to complaints regarding your list.
- Political focus: We only host lists which are primarily focused on liberatory social change. The list must be progressive, radical, or revolutionary in nature.
- Lists we don't host: Here are some examples of list topics we decline to host:
- hobbies: model trains, book groups, religious discussion, etc.
- university credited classes: please get your university or college to host the list, not us.
- commerce: no for-profit business related lists of any kind.
- personal: "me on vacation," "updates about my life," etc.
- capitalists: liberal causes, the Democratic party, etc.
- vanguard parties: ISO, RCP, SWP, CP, and other doctrinaire marxist/leninist/maoist/trotskyist sectarian parties.
- cultural: upcoming performances, venues, etc (unless of a political nature).
List Subscription Conditions
If you subscribe to any aktivix.org list, you agree to the following conditions:
- You will not send tofu: Tofu is activist spam, and it can be almost as annoying as the corporate variety. Not everyone in the world needs to know about your planned rally/campaign/protest/rant. Tofu is defined as a political email sent to a wide number of people or lists which is totally off topic or unsolicited.
- If someone complains that you are tofuing their lists, we will block you from posting to any aktivix.org list.
Your list may be removed for any of the following reasons:
- It was found to be non-political.
- The list is spamming people. Spamming is when someone sends out large quantities of unsolicited email. Spam is evil and we have a zero tolerance policy for spam. If people complain that they were unwillingly subscribed to your list, we will remove the list and potentially ban you from the server.
- The list has had no traffic for the last three months.
Reporting List Abuse
If someone is using a aktivix.org list to send spam, please notify us immediately at aktivix-contact@SPAMNOaktivix.org (remove the SPAMNO to get a valid email address).
We have a zero-tolerance policy toward spam. However, often legitimate lists admins will make mistakes and subscribe people who did not want to be subscribed. We usually let this slide. If a pattern develops of multiple 'mistakes,' then we kill the list.
Once you agree
Send us your request indicating:
-desired name of your list - what this list will be used for - email address of initial moderators of the list - your preferred language if not English
We are all volunteers so please bear with us if you do not receive an immediate answer. Thank you.