If anyone wants to work on a version of this article for the UK site please copy the Sheffield version and edit that, thanks.
SHEFFIELD: Protests against the Israeli assult on Lebanon
The Israeli war of agression against Lebanon has been now been going on for almost four weeks and there have been two protests against it in Sheffield, the first one was held on 22nd July and it involved a spontaneous march around the city cente in a downpour and the second was held on 2nd August, it involved a five-minute sit down protest in Pinstone Street and a speech from Jews against Zionism. On 5th August many people from Sheffield attended the London demo against Israeli attacks.
Israel has been targetting civilians, journalists, the UN and ambulances using cluster bombs, depleted uranium munitions, bunker busters flown in via Scotland and a catalogue of other illegal weapons, the USA is the main source of Israeli weapons. According to UNICEF: "Thirty per cent of those who have died are children and 45 per cent of those who are displaced are children".
The capture of two Israeli soliders, which has been used by Israel to justify the attack on Hizballah, has been shown to be a pretext: "Israel's assaults on the Occupied Territories and Lebanon were planned well in advance with the full knowledge and approval of the US." The Israeli government was given the green light to attack Lebanon by the United States and the other states attending the G8 in Russia. The US-Israeli goal for Lebanon appears to be, as a minimum, regime change or worse, total annihilation, as with the wars in Iraq and Afganistain the role of oil appears to be key. Wider Middle East war was predicted at the end of June and the unfolding events appears to be part of an imperialist carve up of the Middle East.
One response, from a branch of the CNT in France has been to say: "Just as we firmly denounce this military escalation, calling for an immediate cease-fire, and an end to the bombings, and withdrawal of Israeli troops from Lebanon and the Occupied Palestinian Territories, we believe, as internationalist workers, that one of our urgent tasks is to support the development of a third camp - the camp of the workers - in the Middle East, at one and the same time against imperialist domination and against Islamist oppression."
War on Iran has begun, it might go nuclear (this would be the first use of atomic bombs on civilians since 1945). Even if the military are against nuking Iran (link needed) it cannot be discounted, since the political the leaders are criminal (link needed) psychopaths.
Ideas for the anti-war movement in Iran.
Human Rights Watch has accused Israel of undertaking indiscriminate attacks against civilians in Lebanon in their August 2006 report Fatal Strikes Israel’s Indiscriminate Attacks Against Civilians in Lebanon. this needs checking out: IOF War Crimes: HRW Issues a Meaningless Report
Some articles that could be linked to, these are being found via browsing are Analysis archive, so far I'm up to page 150: http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/topics/analysis/newswire/archive150.html
These are the best articles found so far:
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/08/346860.html Blood on his hands - John Kampfner - At a Downing Street reception not long ago, a guest had the temerity to ask Tony Blair: "How do you sleep at night, knowing that you've been responsible for the deaths of 100,000 Iraqis?" The Prime Minister is said to have retorted: "I think you'll find it's closer to 50,000."
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/08/346719.html Lebanon, Syria, Iran & The Coming Imperialist Re-Division of the World
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/07/346243.html World War IV: US Plans to Use Nuclear Weapons against Iran
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/07/346108.html THE CRIME OF LEBANON AND PALESTINE - ARE IRAN AND SYRIA NEXT? - Stephen Lendman
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/07/346166.html The War on Lebanon and the Battle for Oil - Michel Chossudovsky
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/07/346049.html The Real Enemy - Joe Quinn (leaders are psycopaths)
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/07/345908.html UK Govt Sources Confirm War With Iran Is On - Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/06/343932.html Israeli assault on Gaza threatens wider Middle East conflagration - Chris Marsden
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/07/344602.html The Build Up To World War 3 Begins In Shanghai - Liam Bailey
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2002/01/21075.html 9/11: A Desperate Provocation By U.S. Capitalism - Max Kolskegg (The War on Terrorism is a fraud. Its purpose is to maintain carte blanche for the ever more desperate agenda of American capital: the domination of the continent of Eurasia, and the crushing of the Left worldwide, especially its anti-capitalist core.)
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/07/346565.html The Israeli massacre of Lebanese civilians, mainly children, in the village of Qana is a colossal war crime for which the United States government bears full responsibility.
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/08/346764.html Hizballah: A Primer
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/08/346653.html 'No Hezbollah Rockets Fired from Qana'
The war on terror
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/07/344530.html Plan to attack New York tunnels: Yet another dubious "terror plot" - Barry Grey (fake terror cells)
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/07/345411.html Chossudovsky interview: "Al-Qaeda Is a U.S.-sponsored Intelligence Asset" - Jole Garduce
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/06/343713.html Manufacturing “terror” as a means of intimidation - Bill Van Auken
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/06/342803.html War On Terror Act 4 Scene 3: Terrorism Act-Fear Creation - Liam Bailey
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/london/2006/06/342652.html Lessons of the Forest Gate anti-terror raid - Statement by the Socialist Equality Party
- http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=HIR20060719&articleId=2759 Nuking Iran Is not off the Table.
Civil liberties under attack
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/07/344746.html Australia bans two books under anti-terror laws - If it can happen there... - Pugachev
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/07/344734.html Krauthammer Has It All Wrong: The Constitution is for War and Peace - Dave Lindorff
Dollar vs Euro
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/06/342746.html Why the Dollar Bubble is about to Burst - Steve Masterson
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/07/344791.html Is 2006 the year of peak oil? The latest figures are suggesting it could be...
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/07/344590.html Another expert says we've reached peak oil production - Peak Watch
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/06/343575.html US Collusion with Iraqi Death Squads - Max Fuller
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/07/345191.html Uranium bombing in Iraq contaminates Europe - Bob Nichols
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/07/345867.html Middle East: Cradle or Graveyard of Empire? - Ardeshir Mehrdad (suggesting ideas for the anti-war movement in Iran)
3rd Camp articles (I don't totaly agree with these, but this view might be worth mentioning, it's better that the SWP's analysis... - chris):
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/07/346104.html Against the generalised chaos in the Middle East - french anarchist international solidarity
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/07/346176.html HezBollocks and IsRabies - class war
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/05/341699.html Manifesto of the Third Camp against US Militarism and Islamic Terrorism - Maryam Namazie
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2006/07/344768.html National Demonstration - 'No Trident Replacement,' 'Don't Attack Iran' - CND
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/07/345039.html 7/7 and Britain's Terror Paradigm - Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/06/343758.html Nafeez Ahmed on 7/7 Bombings - Daithí
- http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/06/343007.html FBI says, it has "No hard evidence connecting Bin Laden to 9/11"